“At this stage of the investigation, we can officially confirm that all three victims died of suffocation due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” the Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a statement. “The matter is under serious investigation.”
No signs of injury were found on the bodies, police had previously told CNN, and said Bahamian Prime Minister Chester Cooper was no doubt playing badly. Police will not comment beyond the cause of death of three U.S. citizens in a recent news release.
Americans – Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife, Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee, and Vincent Paul Ciarella, 64, of Florida, died in the evening. Ciarella’s wife, Donis, 65, was flown to the nation’s capital, NASA, for further treatment before being transferred to Florida.
Bahamas Police Commissioner Paul Roll said in May that the two couples had been unwell the previous night and had been seen by paramedics and had eaten at different locations.
The next morning the staff found the couple in separate villas and informed the police.
Shoe Resorts told CNN at the time that “shoe resorts are no more important than the safety of our guests” and expressed “deep sadness” over the deaths.
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”