Miami – Families of victims Decline of the Champlain Towers South Condominium SurfSite, Fla., Which killed 98 people last year, has reached a $ 997 million settlement to make up for their shocking casualties.
The settlement, which was revealed in a court hearing on Wednesday, is still pending final approval, which includes insurance companies, nearby building developers and other defendants in a comprehensive civil case. It comes six weeks before the first anniversary Tragedy on June 24th.
Michael A., Judge of the Circuit Court in Miami-Date County. Hansman said, “I’m shocked by this decision – I think it’s amazing.” It’s much more recovery than I expected. “
Prior to Wednesday’s surprise announcement, the judge approved a $ 83 million dividend for condo unit owners for their property losses. No compensation has been determined for the families of the deceased, who will now receive $ 997 million.
“It represents a lot of money, but it’s not going to bring back Jonah’s mother,” said Neil Handler, whose son was one of the few survivors rescued from the rubble. Jonah Handler’s mother, Stacey Fang, 54, was the first victim of the crash.
“No one can deal with what I did on Mother’s Day last Sunday – it’s not going to change any money for him,” he said. Handler said of his son. .
How the money will be distributed to the relatives of the 98 victims will be decided in the coming weeks. The National Standards and Technology Institute is investigating what caused the 13-story, 135-unit building to partially collapse at midnight, which could take years.
Different compensation for the families of the victims, those who lost loved ones and survivors, and those who lost condo units, led to significant friction between the groups and led to emotional court testimony when both sides confronted each other during the trial in March.
“We know we did not cause that decline,” said unit owner Oran Citrine. “One billion dollars, if I were on the other side, would not bring back those loved ones.”
The $ 83 million fund for unit owners is Sampline Towers South Insurance and Sale of land The building was at 8777 Collins Avenue. The nearly two-acre coastal property is expected to sell for at least $ 120 million soon after the auction.
As part of their previous settlement, condo owners were relieved of any liability for negligence in the maintenance of the building. Under Florida law, they may be sued up to the value of their units.
At first, it seemed that no solution was possible. The families of some of the victims argued that all the money recovered through the lawsuit should go to themselves and nothing should go to the unit owners. Judge Hanzman disagreed, saying unit owners should rebuild their lives anew after their steep economic losses. Part of the building did not collapse Demolished a few days after the tragedyUnit owners can never return.
Judge Hanzman approved the $ 83 million settlement in March, saying there was no guarantee the victims’ families would receive more money – and the possibility of a lengthy, protracted trial, as in many class-action cases.
The largest settlement for the families of the victims was unveiled on Wednesday, after it was signed by contractors and consultants prosecuted or prosecuted by the developers of the nearby luxury building HIT Seven Park and the victims’ lawyers. Plaintiffs argued that the construction work on Eighty Seven Park was damaged by Sampline Towers South – an allegation that the developers and contractors of Eighty Seven Park denied.
Proponents of her case have been working to make the actual transcript of this statement available online. Companies that have agreed to find a solution include engineers Studied and began the work To address severe structural defects in the Sampline Towers South area before collapsing.
Companies do not admit mistakes as part of the solution. But Jud G, one of the lawyers for the families of the victims who do not own condo units, said: Rosen said the solution numbers “speak for themselves.”
“This is a step in the right direction to bring them dignity and responsibility for what happened,” he said of the families of the victims. “One billion dollars will not be paid without liability for this loss.”
In total, the total amount recovered for the families of the victims and the survivors exceeds $ 1.1 billion.
Judge Hansman said he would like to finalize the settlement by June 24 and provide compensation to the families of the survivors and victims through the fall.
Susanna Alvarez, 62, who survived the crash, said she and other unit owners had no information on when the money would be received.
“A lot of us have to buy a house; We really live with relatives, ”she said, and she wanted to move on from that terrible day.
“I’m alive, thank God,” he said. “We want to be relaxed.”
Pablo Rodriguez, who lost his mother Elena Blaser (64) and grandmother Elena Chavez (88) in the crash, said he had mixed feelings about immigration.
“There really isn’t enough money to do everything right,” Mr. Rodriguez said.
Almost a year later, Mr. Rodriguez, 41, said the deaths of his loved ones were still untrue and haunting.
“The video of the building collapsing,” he said, “it still wakes me up at night.”
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”